A 7,000-Year-Old Superfood
Here's a fast-cooking breakfast bowl you can customize, made with the West African super grain fonio.
Are you new to this ancient grain, which is also called hungry millet, hungry rice, fundi and acha? “It is grown throughout the savanna areas of West Africa, notably in Guinea and Nigeria,” according to ScienceDirect. Like quinoa, fonio offers the energizing benefits of B vitamins, the nutrient density of whole grain, and a plant-based source of protein, WebMD points out. Fonio is low glycemic (for those who are watching their sugar) and good for your gut. The porridge recipe below, courtesy of the Black-owned purveyor Yolélé, is just peachy! For additional recipe ideas—seafood, poultry and meat dishes, salads, soups, sweets and more—check out yolele.com.
FONIO PEACH PORRIDGE
1 tablespoon butter or plant-based
¼ cup uncooked Yolélé fonio
1 cup vanilla almond or other milk of
your choice, divided in half
2 teaspoons coconut sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup sliced peaches (fresh, thawed
• Almonds, walnuts or pecans
• Chia seeds, flaxseeds or buckwheat
• Fresh mint
• Blueberries and blackberries or
strawberries, bananas or raspberries
1. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. When the butter is foamy and fully melted, after about 1 minute, add the uncooked fonio; stir well until all the fonio is coated with the butter. Add ½ cup milk, the sugar and the cinnamon. Stir; raise the heat, so the mixture comes to a boil. Stir well, then reduce the heat, cover the pot, and cook over low heat for 1 minute.
2. Turn off the heat; let the mixture rest, covered, for an additional 4 minutes. Fluff the fonio; add more milk to your liking, cooking with a gentle, low heat until the porridge reaches the consistency you prefer. Add the peaches.
3. Add toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
Our quarterly subscription box offers select products from Black creatives and business owners and custom-designed items in beauty, self-care, home goods, style and more. Plus, we provide an exclusive magazine and access to an uplifting woman-focused digital community.